Education & Clinical Programs Job Summary
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System Learning & Enrichment Apprenticeship for RN Students (LEARN) Program:
The SMHCS LEARN Program provides professional development for the future SMHCS nurse. The Nurse Tech role is a paid position highlighting an innovative teaching/learning environment while providing direct patient centered care in a variety of settings.
Nursing students who have completed the first semester/level of clinical for the ASN/BSN degree with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
You must maintain continuous enrollment in an accredited nursing program and remain in good standing in your nursing program throughout the LEARN program.
Nurse Tech functions are direct and indirect patient care activities delegated by the accountable registered nurse. Skills will increase in complexity as you advance in the program.
Nurse Tech I Skills: May be completed by a nursing student who has completed their Nursing Fundamentals/Foundations course and 1 semester/level of clinical experience.
- Performs CPR
- Measures and documents vital signs
- Provides routine hygienic/activities of daily living care (ADLs)
- Turn, cough, deep breathe: incentive spirometry
- Performs actions targeted to the maintenance of skin integrity
- Administers a variety of comfort measures
- Conducts blood glucose testing
- Performs oral suctioning with Yankauer suction device
- Collects patient specimens (urine, sputum, stool)
- Removes peripheral IV catheters
- Feeds patients
- Urinary Management and discontinue indwelling foley catheters
- Perform use of the bladder scanner
- Performs colostomy/urostomy pouch change
- Foam dressing changes
- Basic patient education reinforcement opportunities
Educational opportunities will be offered on various topics such as:
- Managing Complex Patients (Chest tubes, tracheostomies etc.)
- Personal wellness
- Magnet Organization
- Patient Experience
- Skin Care/Wound/Ostomy care
- IV therapy
- Practice Transition Program to Nurse Residency
- Shadowing opportunities will be available
Participating units include areas from the Cardiac and Med Surg Divisions and are listed below.
- 5ET - Cardiac Neurology
- 7ET - Cardiac Progressive 4
- 7CY – Cardiac Progressive 3
- 8ET – Cardiac Progressive 2
- 10WT – Medical 1
- 4NW – Medical 3
- 5WT – General Medical and Surgical
- 6ET – General Surgical
- 7WT – Medical/Wound Care
- 8WT – Medical 2
- Require nursing students who are eligible for CNA exam to: a.) currently be enrolled in an accredited school of Nursing (RN); b.) have completed at least two semesters of coursework and clinicals for the ASN/BSN degree.
- Require continuous enrollment in an accredited nursing program. If at any time the employee is not enrolled in the nursing program (such as a leave of absence or course failure resulting in a lack of nursing program progression), the employee may be removed from the Nurse Tech role. The employee must reapply for the position once they are re-enrolled in an accredited nursing program and meet employment status.
- Must not be graduating in the semester during which they are seeking to be hired for the Nurse Tech position.
- Upon graduation from an accredited nursing program, the employee may remain in the Nurse Tech position no longer than 90 days while waiting to take the NCLEX exam. If the employee is unsuccessful in passing the NCLEX on the first attempt, then they are no longer eligible to remain in the Nurse Tech role. Preferred Qualifications
- Prefer working knowledge of commonly used computer applications. Mandatory Education
HS EQ: High School Diploma, GED or Certificate Required License and Certs
BLS: Basic Life Support/CPR
Full-time, part-time, and per diem (PRN) positions available.
Full-time: three 12-hour shifts/week
Part-time: two 12-hour shifts/week
PRN plans available with shift minimum of one to two 12-hour shifts per pay period depending on assigned unit needs
Benefits available for full-time and part-time employees.
Reputation. Community. Impact. Growth.
Every day, our patients at Sarasota Memorial Health Care System receive a first-class experience in care from a team on a mission to deliver the highest level of care in America. In the process of rising to that challenge, one by one, our people are finding their purpose and feeling their impact. Now it is your turn to see yourself here.
* Highest 5-Star rating from Medicare for quality and safety
* Straight "A's" for Patient Safety
* SMH is also listed among U.S. News “Best Hospitals for Maternity” for 2021-2022; the only hospital in the region to make the list.
* One of the nation's 100 Top Hospitals, 40 Top Teaching Hospitals and 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospital
* Listed among U.S. News' 50 Best Hospitals for Rehabilitation Services and Specialized Urology Care, 2022 - 2023
* Forbes' Best Employers for Women
* Named among the World’s Best Hospitals by Newsweek, 2019-2022
The Benefits of High Quality Care:
Our commitment to becoming the best community hospital and health care system means providing the best possible benefits to our people. Some highlights:
Total Rewards Package
- Paid time off (start earning PTO on day one of employment)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Discounted medical, prescription, dental, vision benefit plans for Full & Part-Time employees
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health Care and Dependent Care), Pre- tax dollars
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan: 403b
- Discounted Child Care & Before and After School Program, and Summer Camp! (Sarasota Campus)
- Bereavement leave
- Free parking
- On campus dining with a 30% discount
- Credit Union w/ teller machines on campus
- Direct Deposit
- Free Wellness Screening
- Free confidential counseling services
- Employee Discount Programs
- Recognition Programs
- Referral Programs
- Tremendous growth opportunities for hard workers!