Salary range: $41.37/hr - $62.05/hr
The PAC Nurse works closely with medical assistants, admitting and support staff and ensures the delivery of quality nursing care for patients undergoing surgical and other invasive procedures in the preoperative phase of care in accordance with age-related and individual needs, physician’s orders, hospital policy, standards of care and nursing practice. Facilitates preadmission process by gathering appropriate information, communicating test results, coordinating referrals and providing patient/family education. Works under the guidance of Medical Doctor, Medical Director of PAC, and PAC RN Coordinator.
Performed majority of the time:
· Promotes recruitment, retention, professional development and education of staff, and assures that personnel are qualified and competent to fulfill job requirements. Assists in the interview, education and evaluation process.
· Assists in the development and maintenance of operating and capital budgets.
· Implements and maintains quality assurance monitoring and evaluation.
· Promotes product standardization as appropriate to provide optimal customer service and maximize cost efficiencies/opportunities.
· Remains key resource for department in manager absence.
· Initiates nursing history of surgical patients and communicates incomplete information to Perioperative clinical staff for follow-up.
· Assists with establishing departmental policies and procedures consistent with community and national standards/guidelines.
· Completes staff schedules according to staffing plan to ensure availability of trained personnel.
· Demonstrates knowledge about the psychologic, sociologic, and spiritual responses of patients and their families to the operative or other invasive procedures, including participation of patients in their recovery:
o Notes sensory impairments
o Identifies barriers to communication
o Determines knowledge level
o Assess readiness to learn
o Identifies psychosocial status
o Assess, implements and evaluates psychosocial response to plan of care
o Elicits perceptions of surgery
o Explains expected sequence of events
o Screens for substance abuse
o Screens for physical abuse
o Provides instruction regarding dietary needs
o Assess, instructs and evaluates response to issues of medication management
o Provides pain management instruction
o Provides instruction based on age and identified needs
o Identifies expectations of home care
o Assesses, provides instruction and evaluates responses instruction about wound care and phases of wound healing
· Supports patients’ right and ethics by delivering consistent, competent, and ethical care, within legal standards of practice, while maintaining privacy and support of the patient’s value system:
o Verifies consent from planned procedure
o Includes patient and family in preoperative teaching and discharge planning
o Provides information and explains Advanced Directives
o Develops individualized plan of care
o Ensures continuity of care
o Provides care respecting worth and dignity regardless of diagnosis, disease process, procedure, or projected outcome.
· Reviews patient charts to assess completeness of pre-surgical testing. Advises physician offices of needed lab work and tests.
· Participates in job related activities to promote professional growth and improve competence.
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of the job:
· Plans and participates in staff in-services, conferences, meetings and educational requirements.
· Investigates and documents rare and unusual occurrences.
· Investigates ways to improve customer service utilizing feedback from customers (i.e. patients, family, co-workers, other departments, etc.).
Decision making and budget responsibilities:
· Impact limited to the employee.
· No budget responsibility.
· Bachelor or Master of Science in Nursing.
· Previous perioperative experience.
· Phlebotomy and EKG experience, preferred or willingness to learn.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
· Current licensure as a registered nurse by the Oregon State Board of Nursing.
· American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS.
· Membership in appropriate professional organization.
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
· Possesses knowledge of Regulatory standards such as DNV, Oregon State Board of Nursing and state and federal regulations.
· Successfully manages multiple tasks, priorities, deadlines and interruptions.
· Documents assessments and data collection in an accurate, concise and systematic manner utilizing hospital and departmental charting formats.
· Promotes collaboration and creates opportunities for improved customer service.
· Responds appropriately in emergency situations.
· Shows flexibility in schedule to accommodate unscheduled patients and department needs.
· Demonstrates skills in caring for pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
· Recognizes abnormal clinical findings.
· Demonstrates knowledge of rules/regulations established by governmental and regulatory agencies.
· Practices effective communication skills and interpersonal skills, written, verbal, and non-verbal.
· Utilizes a problem solving process to make decisions related to patient care and unit activity.
· Develops skills in use of hospital computerized information/ordering system.
· Demonstrates proper appearance and personal conduct.
· Work independently with minimal supervision.
· Must be able to clearly speak, write and communicate in the English language.
· Bilingual skills a plus.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application of this policy in our daily business conduct.