General Summary of Position
Working under the direction of a Registered Nurse, utilizes the skills gained as a student in a Nursing degree program to assist the Registered Nurse in the care of a group of patients┬á
- Active enrollment as senior nursing student in an accredited nursing program; Required
- successful completion of 1 year of a Clinical Nursing Program including Fundamentals of Nursing (or the equivalent); Required
- 3.0 or higher GPA (transcripts must be submitted at the end of each semester). Required
- Prior work experience not required
Licenses and Certifications
- CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) certification by the Maryland Board of Nursing. Required and
- Must obtain CPR certification by the end of the orientation period and maintain current CPR certification. Required
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Assists the Registered Nurse with formulating and implementation of the health teaching plan through performance of routine health teaching.Assists with implementing the patient's plan of care as delegated by the Registered Nurse.Assists with transport of patients, specimens, equipment, and supplies as appropriate. Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality.Collaborates with Registered Nurse to organize own patient care assignment to provide safe, efficient care.Collaborates with the Registered Nurse at the time of patient admission in formulating the nursing plan of care.Collects and documents pertinent patient information following policy guidelines; Reinforcement of patient teaching; Completion of patient tasks delegated by the Registered Nurse after entry into the medical record. Obtains data and documents pertinent patient information including vital signs, weights, heights and patient care activities.Complies with established hospital personnel policies. Attends mandatory training sessions, staff meetings and town hall meetings. Completes all mandatory education requirements on time.Confers with Registered Nurse in identifying patient needs, supporting and preparing transfer or discharge care.Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar Health mission, vision, goals, objectives and patient care philosophy. Demonstrates effective communication and works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team.Demonstrates the appropriate level of urgency during critical situations.Participates in meetings, on committees and represents the department and hospital in community outreach efforts. Enhances growth and development and enriches personal knowledge and skill through participation in educational programs and affiliations.Participates in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams.Performs basic procedures such as wound care and simple dressing changes, suctioning, urinary catheter insertion and removal, maintenance of drainage devices, performance of EKG's. Collects specimens including urine, stool, sputum and blood. Provides respiratory therapy support including coughing, deep breathing and set-up of oxygen equipment and pulse oximetry.Performs intravenous catheter insertions, changes of I.V. sites and dressings and routine inspection of sites as needed. Performs routine blood drawing function.Provides evaluation of Nurse Extern role and the Future Registered Nurses Program.Reports actual and potential problems concerning patients, families, staff and other departments to the Registered Nurse. Responds to questions from patient, families, and significant others in a prompt, courteous, positive manner, referring them to appropriate personnel if necessary.Works cooperatively, communicates effectively and works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team.
Why MedStar Health?
At MedStar Health, we understand that our ability to treat others well begins with how we treat each other. We work hard to foster an inclusive and positive environment where our associates feel valued, connected, and empowered. We live up to this promise through:
- Strong emphasis on teamwork—our associates feel connected to each other and our mission as an organization. In return, our effective team environment generates positive patient outcomes and high associate satisfaction ratings that exceed the national benchmark.
- Comprehensive total rewards package—including competitive pay, generous paid time off, great health and wellness benefits, retirement savings, education assistance, and so much more.
- More career opportunities closer to home—as the largest healthcare provider in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. region, there are countless opportunities to grow your career and fulfill your aspirations.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation, and research. Our team of 32,000 includes physicians, nurses, residents, fellows, and many other clinical and non-clinical associates working in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest home health provider in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar Health is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education, professional development, and personal fulfillment of our whole team. Together, we use the best of our minds and the best of our hearts to serve our patients, those who care for them, and our communities. It’s how we treat people.