This position is Sign-on Bonus eligible. In addition to the sign-on bonus, new teammates at Atrium Health are eligible for robust benefits packages, paid time off, and a Career Advancement Ladder that rewards you for years of experience within your area of specialty.
The Mattei Cardiothoracic Surgery ICU (CTICU) provides inpatient care to adult and geriatric patients on a 24-hour basis. Common diagnoses for these patients include, but not limited to: CABG, Minimally Invasive CABG, Valve repair/replacement, orthotopic heart transplant, ventricular assist device (VAD) placement, aortic aneurysm repair, congenital heart defect repair, and thoracotomy. Care is provided to listed population during the acute intensive care phase immediately following surgery.
CTICU utilizes the following diagnostic and therapeutic services to facilitate patient care: nursing assessments and evaluation, administration of prescribed medications, EKG/hemodynamic monitoring, intravenous therapy (including titration of vasoactive and inotropic drips), maintenance of IABP, fluid and electrolyte balance, CRRT, ventilator support, respiratory care, safety management, nutritional support, family and patient education, infection control, skin care, standard precautions, point of care testing, and discharge planning.
Responsible for the direct provision of patient care and for assisting the manager with daily operations to include but not limited to coordination of patient care/outcomes, allocation of human and fiscal resources, communications, patient throughput, program development and oversight, patient, physician and employee rounding, selection, development, and retention of staff, clinical supervision and performance appraisal, performance improvement activities, service recovery and compliance with regulatory agency requirements. Maintains clinical and professional competency as appropriate to the population of patients served.
- Supports the manager utilizing systematic approaches to enhance the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice, nursing service administration and delivery of care in the department
- Assists with interview, selection, and supervision of nursing personnel in the department
- Assists with coordination of communication at regular intervals throughout shifts via staff meetings/huddles to exchange information/ promote dialogue with teammates
- Collaborates with manager to ensure understanding and compliance with federal and state laws, to include healthcare services and practice, while complying with all required regulations and policies
- Rounds on patients, teammates, and physicians at prescribed frequencies to gain insight into patient care, employee, and physician satisfaction and appropriateness of patient care and/or department operations
- Delegates elements of care to appropriate healthcare workers in accordance with applicable legal or policy parameters or principles
- Assists in identifying expected outcomes to provide direction for continuity of care/department operations
- Assists in evaluating progress towards goal attainment/achievement of expected outcomes and disseminates information to teammates involved with the care or the situation
- Performs nursing care, assists with treatments, therapies, procedures, and administers medications as necessary
- Coordinates management of patient flow/throughput and staffing through continuous assessment of volume/acuity needs, utilizing resources available to assist in provision of appropriate staffing resources
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, stooping, bending, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 35 pounds in handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies. Must speak and understand English fluently. Intact sense of sight, hearing, smell, and touch. Finger dexterity. Critical thinking and ability to concentrate.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing. Current RN licensure in appropriate state. Minimum two years nursing experience preferred. Previous management experience preferred. BSN required. RN candidates for external hire or internal promotion without BSN must be enrolled in a BSN program within 1 year of Hire/Transfer date and must complete program within 3 years of enrollment in the program. BLS required per policy guidelines. Appropriate professional certification (either clinical or leadership) is required within 1 year of eligibility for professional certification exam. Additional education, training, certifications, or experience may be required within the department by the nurse leader.