- $10,000 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($5,700 part-time)
- $6,000 Student Loan Repayment ($3,000 part-time)
- $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
- $250 Wellbeing Fund per year($125 for part-time)
- Annual Employee Merit Increase and Incentive Bonus
- Paid time off and Holiday pay
Sign on bonuses available for select Medicine Units-$3,000-$5,000 (new grad & experienced)
Northwestern Memorial Hospital is an academic medical center in the heart of downtown Chicago with physicians, surgeons and caregivers representing nearly every medical specialty.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital enjoys a teaching and service partnership with Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, an integration that provides patients access to leading-edge clinical trials and fosters an environment of world-class patient care, academic inquiry and innovative research.
Northwestern Medicine is proud to have five hospitals ranked among “America’s Best” by U.S. News & World Report for 2022-23. Anchored by Northwestern Memorial Hospital, the No. 1 hospital in Illinois & Chicago and ranked No. 9 in the nation, we’re leading the quest for better care and better treatments in the Chicagoland area.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital has also received Magnet® recognition*, the gold-standard for nursing excellence, from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Northwestern Memorial Hospital is proud to offer all new graduate Registered Nurses enrollment into our ANCC Accredited RN Residency Transition into Practice Program.
The Clinical Nurse reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The role of the professional clinical nurse is unique and essential to the care of the patient. The nurse demonstrates that unique and essential function through the framework for nursing practice.
Whether you are a new graduate or an experienced RN, Northwestern Memorial Hospital has an opportunity for you to grow your professional nursing career.
View our NMH Nursing Video Here:
We provide specialized care and hire into the following units:
- Operating Room
- OR RN Residency Program
- ED-Level 1 Trauma Center
- 6 Critical Care Units
- NICU-Neonatal ICU
- MICU-Medical ICU
- CTICU-Cardiac Transplant ICU
- CCU-Coronary Care ICU
- NSICU-Neuro Spine ICU
- SICU-Surgical ICU
- Medicine Units-Sign On Bonus Available for both experienced and new grad RNs
- Medicine Observation Units- Sign On Bonus Available for both experienced and new grad RNs (excludes FMOU)
- Pulmonary Step Down-Sign On Bonus Available for both experienced and new grad RNs
- Inpatient Dialysis
- CVT Step Down
- Heart Failure
- Surgical-Neuro Surgery Specialty Unit
- Neuroscience Progressive Unit
- Surgical- Transplant
- Surgical- Urology/Vascular & Trauma
- Surgical- GI Surgical Oncology
- Adult Psych
- Women's Health
- Post Partum
- Labor & Delivery
- Procedural Nursing Departments
- Inpatient Clinical Research
- Float Pool
- Practices in accordance with the patient centered care model.
- Develops an individualized age-specific culturally sensitive nursing plan of care for the patient that is based on the nursing process.
- Incorporates the role of patient advocate into the plan of care.
- Uses a team approach to develop and achieve daily patient-centered individualized care goals.
- Acknowledges and values the contributions of the patients significant others as an integral part of the plan of care.
- Identifies potential conflict situations and facilitates resolution using established communication channels.
- Promotes and strives to protect the health, safety and rights of the patient.
- Protects patients by maintaining a safe environment.
- Advances clinical expertise, as demonstrated through pursuit of informal and formal continuing education opportunities and obtaining specialty certification when eligible.
- Continuously enhances skills and abilities to ensure the highest quality patient care.
- Shares knowledge and expertise through educating team members, patients and students.
- Demonstrates critical thinking by integrating theoretical knowledge and expertise to pose relevant clinical questions when evidence and practice differ.
- Identifies priorities, sets realistic and measurable goals, prescribes and implements nursing interventions in a safe and timely manner.
- Develops and implements individualized education plans for patients and families using suitable instructional materials and methods.
- Evaluates and documents the patients responses to nursing interventions in the health record and properly individualizes the plan of care based on the evaluation of findings.
- Identifies situations that require further intervention and escalates appropriately; consults appropriate experts and resources when needed.
- Participates in the formation, implementation and evaluation of team goals.
- Appropriately delegates and supervises interventions to implement the plan of care.
- Conveys complete, timely and accurate information at hand off at the bedside or any hand off.
- Adheres to ethical standards of practice.
- Participates in one or more volunteer initiatives annually - Northwestern Medicine organized or on his/her own.
- Consistently demonstrates interpersonal connections with patients and families from introduction through discharge.
- Proactively responds to patient concerns such as speaking to patients about possible/expected delays in plan of care.
- Treats patients, families, visitors and staff in a caring manner with respect and dignity.
- Facilities recovery and where appropriate helps ensure a peaceful death for patients.
- Is a member of a professional organization or participates on a Northwestern Medicine committee or taskforce at the hospital-wide, departmental, or unit level.
- Demonstrates accountability and collaborative practice with co-workers, other disciplines, and departments.
- Assumes responsibility for continued professional growth and education reflecting knowledge and understanding of current nursing practice.
- Serves as a community mentor for team members.
- Serves as a preceptor for new team members.
- Participates in the peer feedback process by conducting a constructive assessment and evaluation of peer performance.
- Works collaboratively with all hospital services to accomplish daily work and maintain an environment of excellence.
- Participates in the development of policies, procedures and systems to support safe and effective care and advance nursing practice at NMH through the Shared Leadership Process.
- Assumes personal responsibility for meeting internal (i.e. Best People profile, ELMs, CPR, and health requirements) and external regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Identifies opportunities for innovation and quality improvement; participates in innovation projects and the quality improvement process, including unit based quality committees.
- Demonstrates accountability to Northwestern Medicine strategic, operational and fiscal goals.
- Exemplifies a professional image in appearance and communications.
- Maintains and advances the professional image of nursing and the practice of professional nursing through an ongoing analysis of resources.
- Professional Organizations, literature, electronic resources, etc.
- Graduate of an NLN accredited school/college of nursing .
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing or higher.
- Current State of Illinois, Registered Professional Nurse license.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR through American Heart Association.
- Analytic ability (conceptual and quantitative).
- Oral, listening and written communication skills.
- Strong human relation skills to interact effectively and collaborate with others in difficult situations.
- Use of a keyboard to enter or retrieve data.
- Experience in specific clinical area.
- Nursing specialty certification, if eligible.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.