Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and surgeon, this position facilitates the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the scrub role in all cases under the supervision of the Circulating RN.
- Maintains a safe, sterile environment in all aspects of the technologists’ role according to departmental policy and procedure.
- Anticipates needs for addition special equipment and supplies before the procedure and requests it from the circulating nurse.
- Sets up the back table and Mayo tray with instruments and supplies according to the procedure and surgeon preference card.
- Performs Surgical Count with Circulating RN according to HA-C policy.
- Provides preoperative assistance in the organization of supplies, equipment and the Operating Room for each procedure assigned.
- Uses preference cards in preparing for current cases and in picking for cases booked the following day.
- Updates and maintains the surgical preference cards.
- Maintains the service inventories when assigned.
- Establishes and maintains sterile field for all surgical procedures.
- Applies knowledge of aseptic technique, homeostasis and surgical sequence on cases assigned.
- Responds in a calm, efficient manner in critical or emergency situations.
- Handles and sets surgical instruments in a safe manner.
- Reports broken, malfunctioning or missing equipment is reported to circulating nurse and/or OR materials coordinator.
- Performs skills and procedures specific to the role proficiently in accordance with departmental competencies and procedures.
- Initiates, completes, and maintains records, documentation, and departmental logs with accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Takes weekend, holiday or overnight call as required.
- Position Qualifications:
- Completion of an accredited school of practical nursing program
- Current Massachusetts Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) License
- Successful completion of an accredited surgical technology program
Unless certification, licensure or registration is required, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the above requirements.